Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Lock blog at long last

It has been eight months since I posted here. I promised myself and people who read this blog that I would be a good blogger and I'm not. I really wanted to post regularly, but two things have gotten in the way. The first is simply my time. I am a full-time graduate student, I work, and I have three kids. The second thing and maybe the most important thing though is my vanity. I simply have not made time to take pictures of my hair that looked as good as I think it looks. In the intervening eight months I have had my hair re-tightened twice by my locktician and did it myself once. I have gotten compliments on the street, and from friends and from people at church. my husband loves my locks. I have been extremely happy and comfortable in my own skin. I think that my hair looks great, and it is growing like crazy. I love my locks! In the daytime I am a social worker. I usually wear my hair with some girl in it. I have tried a variety of curling methods. I'll discuss later, but I I say this to say that what I think is great about my locks is that I can curl it for a more conservative look. And I can have them loose and wild for a more fun look. The flexibility is amazing to me. I started out using perm rods to curl my locks. I would put a few drops of setting lotion and a few drops of an essential wheel for a pretty smell in a spray bottle spray my locks and then roll them on perm rods. I chose a perm rods side that was about the size of three pencils. That seemed to make tight curls that were not too tight for me. At first I only used water. But I found that the curls lasted longer if I put a little setting lotion in the water. The problem was I didn't like the smell of the setting lotion. So I bought a tiny bottle of essential oil, and I put less than one drop in the bottle of water and setting lotion. That is plenty to give my hair a pretty smell with how making my locks slip. That may not be true for anyone else. I have extremely thick hair that is really happy to lock and has slipped very little. I use a spray bottle because if I put my hair in any type of rollers, while it is wet from washing it will not dry overnight. My hair is too thick and my locks are too many for it to dry in any one nights sleep. Well, maybe I just don't sleep enough. I guess I get about seven hours of sleep and if I put it up on rollers when I wake up seven hours later, it is still wet. If I wash my hair I let it dry and then spray it a bit rather than roll it up wet. That way I don't have wet hair in the morning to deal with. I bought a bonnet style hair dryer and I can dry it with the bonnet style hairdryer. But I think it is not just good for my locks I find it very annoying, noisy and confining. I just use the hairdryer as an emergency backup method. The hairdryer will also work if I just spray the locks and get under the dryer for about 20 minutes. I just rarely have 20 minutes to spend under the dryer. I used to rods and got great results but I really wanted to sleep more. I found them hard and they poked me in the head at night. next, I tried some satin-covered rollers with a small wider in them. They work, but they had a couple of problems. First, they were very small so it took a lot of them to back my thick locks around. Second, they slipped out easily. Oh, I guess there were three problems, third. Why yours quickly began to poke through the material. Next, I ordered lock loops on the Internet. I really like the lock loops. They do well with my locks I get great curls. I can put in a handful of lock loops and go to sleep and not have any pain from them poking in my head. They are also black and discreet and I don't feel silly sleeping in them. They also seem to dry quickly and not hold any odors. There is another company that makes a similar product called soft spikes. Maybe I should've bought them. I think that you get more for your money. But I ordered the lock loops, and that's what I have. Will, I bought type of cleaners. I saw on the Internet that some women have done their hair with pipe cleaners. I started using them one day by I couldn't sleep in them. So I took him out before I went to sleep. Maybe you have to be a tougher woman than I am, in order to curl your locks with pipe cleaners. I do not like them poking me in the head, and I am just too tired these days to lose sleep over my hair.

1 comment:

Titus 2 Thandi said...

Tell me about it! I'm also not 'woman' enough to sleep in something causing me pain!